Monday, December 1, 2014
Southwest Louisiana Marsh by www.monsoursphotography.net
To me, there’s nothing more peaceful and beautiful than watching the Southwest Louisiana sun rise in a duck blind with a cup of hot coffee sitting next to me dad.  My dad, who is also a photographer, always told me that Southwest Louisiana has the most gorgeous sunrises than anywhere else in the world!  Who’s gonna argue with that?!?

Duck hunting has been a strong family connector in the Monsour household.  I’ve been hunting with my dad since I was two years old.  We’d have father-daughter duck hunts at the camp in Johnson’s Bayou for as long as I can remember.
A father teaches his children to call ducks.
Photo by www.monsoursphotography.net

My dad would always have a string of calls around his neck, but my favorite was the old wooden Faulk’s call.  It just looked more rustic than the synthetic calls, and I’m sure it sounded better!

Faulk's Game Calls was started by Clarence "Patin" Faulk. Patin was a local guide and a trapper in Big Lake, Louisiana. He made duck and goose calls at his home starting in the mid 1930s. His son Dud Faulk learned about call making from him. In 1951, Dud created a full line of calls and started going to trade shows. Dud won the International Duck Calling Championship once and the World Champion Goose Calling Championship twice. He continued to grow the business with his wife Rena at his side.
Today, Dud's wife Rena, daughters and grandchildren assist in running the business in Lake Charles, LA. Faulk's Game Calls is still producing quality, hand tuned calls with the same attention to quality calls that they started with in 1951.

A Few Duck Calling Tips from Canaan Heard with Faulk’s Game Calls:
      - Don't over call. 
      - Call when the ducks are flying away from you or are passing in front of you. 
      - Don't call when they're flying at you. 

Check out this video of avid outdoorsman Hal McMillin during teal season.  To learn more about duck hunting in Southwest Louisiana and to find guide services, go to
www.visitlakecharles.org/hunt




1 comments:

JeffreyShockley said...

We’d have father-daughter duck hunts at the camp in Johnson’s Bayou for as long as I can remember. hunting packages